Thursday, October 28, 2010

Zombie Infection

I've been getting harassed a lot this week for talking about zombies. I don't know why I'm getting harassed, I've been talking about zombies for roughly the past year. I surmise that it is because people are getting overwhelmed with zombie stuff at the moment, which is entirely understandable.

Now, even though I talk about zombies a fair amount I don't really consider myself a zombie person (a person who is fanatical about zombies, not one of the actual undead). The reason that I say this is because I'm not really into zombie movies which is where zombies have there true origin.

I first became interested in zombies when I stumbled upon this podcast series in iTunesU, then there was an article in TIME, and then I read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (honestly I don't think I could read the original, it must be amazingly boring without the undead). Since then odds and ends have just been popping up in my RSS feeds.

Some of the interesting stuff that has come out recently are:

Zombies in Retail

Zombies in Politics

Zombies in Academics

Zombies in Games

Zombies in Comics

Zombies in infographics

Zombies in an epic battle with unicorns (there is only one word for this...Awesome)

This is fun stuff, and just by looking over some of these links you can get a fairly good lay of zombieism, and with a little BS you can claim to be an expert.

However, as I said before I don't consider myself a zombie person, no my motivation for discussing zombies is part of an experiment (only possibly evil). I want to see if by bringing up something totally random (zombies) can I get other people to start bringing it up in other random circumstances? So far I think that it is working.

One one of my work projects I bring up zombies every week at our meeting. The people at that meeting now send me zombie links they find, and while on a plane my project manager had a zombie discussion with the guy sitting next to him on the plane.

My thought is that often we don't see, talk, think about things until there is a stimulus - a reason that brings the thought to the forefront of our mind. Once it is at the forefront we will start to see the thing in question all over the place.

So really I'm doing everyone a favor in opening their eyes, with the infection of zombies on the brain.

And now you're infected too,

You're Welcome.

1 comment:

Daniel said...

Thanks a lot. No, I have been tangentially referencing zombies for, as you say, about a year. There's things like the "Zombie Survival Guide" and so forth that have brought zombies back to the forefront of pop culture recently.

What you should do is pick a topic that is not very popular right now (like unicorns, or maybe whales), and talk a lot about that. I can't imagine you run across those things too much in your work, so it would make it a more accurate experiment.

I still haven't read P&P&Z. How is it?