Saturday, August 21, 2010

Planning for School

I start school on Monday. Now the program I have applied for expects me to take five years to complete my PhD. Personally I think that is ridiculous, I think I can do it in three to three and a half.

Anyway in an effort to get the most efficient schedule possible I did the rational thing, I made a spreadsheet.




Now I need to take four classes and three are required so I needed to pick one more class.

I generated a multi-tab spreadsheet, one tab for each elective class. I then filled out the spreadsheet with how much sleep, class time, etc would fit into the day.

Then I wrote some little aggregation code so I could see how the different classes compared to each other. For some reason my wife thought that this was the geekiest thing that I have ever done, and has been laughing at me for months.

You would think that going to get a PhD or two would have clued her in a while ago that I am a geek.

(Sad side note, to one up my own geekiness I just spent an hour playing with a visualization api to turn that data into a treemap and accidentally clicked on a link and lost all of my work. Sorry for the lack of pretty pictures to display my data.)




4 comments:

Megan said...

I hope it all works for you. Instead of saying "geek" you could just say you're very organized:)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Tell me more about this aggregation code. And I do not understand your table.

Daniel said...

I've known you longer than she has, so that might explain it, but that is not even close to the geekiest thing you (or I) have done.

Also, I've found myself telling the story of the gasoline and my leg quite a bit lately.