Friday, June 19, 2009

People Helping People

I read about a great idea the other day, paying teenage girls to not get pregnant.
Brilliant eh?

I really like the idea, but when I told my sister in-law about she found the concept repugnant. "You want to pay people to do nothing?" she asked incredulously. "Well it's better then paying them for lying on their backs and doing nothing" (I didn't really say that, but should have).

Anyway, the full idea is that you pay high risk teen girls a dollar a day for every day that they are not pregnant. This equals $365 dollars a year per teenage girl; while this may sound like a lot compare it to whatever you think it would cost per year per pregnant teen and child, who doesn't have much education, training, or familial financial support for the rest of their life. Sounds like a bargain to me.

The theory at work here comes from behavioral economics, and that many people don't act in their own self interest, or at least the way that classical economists describe self interest.
I thought that this concept was fairly well known. One of my wife's favorite topics is behavior modification, this type of reward system is a continuous reinforcement schedule with a fixed ratio, aimed to maintain a certain behavior.

It reminds me of a childrens book I read a long time ago where in order to stop a girl from bitting her nails they tried to pay her up to ten cents at the end of every day, one penny for every nail not bitten. This strategy didn't work so well because the reinforcement came at the end of each day. After a while the tactic changed to the girl getting ten pennys at the beginning of the day and at the end of the day she would be able to keep a penny for each unbitten nail. The presence of a constant reminder was able to shift her behavior.

As I understand it the money works in the same way, as a more constant reminder of the goal or desired behavior.

Now this isn't the best reinforcement type, that is an intermittent reinforcement schedule, with an unfixed ratio, meaning the target has no idea when the reward will come, or how big the reward will be. The uncertainty generates the best results. I wonder if the government would consider that instead. The problem I see with that is that bureaucrats have a hard enough time trying to maintain a stable schedule, and teenagers don't have the ability to process consequences very well.

I read an article on teenagers brains that was great, but to long to talk about here; suffice it to say that brains are like teeth, your baby brain falls out around 12 and the adult brain comes in around 25. So a couple of bucks for high risk girls sound like a good investment for them and for the economy as a whole.

No comments: